Sunday, May 04, 2008

Block II

After a recovery week of dog hikes and a few sun salutations I'm moving well enough to begin my second block of training. Today I'll ride--not for too long--for the first time in a while, which will hopefully allow me to line up virtually with the start of the Giro on May 10th. In prep for Speedgoat, some big rides and climbs I've got planned for the summer/fall, block II begins with some extra focus. In spite of the forced time off block I was successful in that my overall body condition has improved a lot. I've gained some size (probably more than I want)--enough that some of my shirts are much tighter--and evert aspect of my fitness has improved. On to block II.

This block will have a lot of double days as riding, running, and climbing will get into the mix. But the main focus will still be on the X workouts. Since block three will be even more sports specific, II will look more like a traditional block III. It's four weeks long, which is mainly because week one is going to be abridged. Rather than using different workouts to ease back in, I'll stay with X workouts and abridge them each day and only do enough as my body allows. Since most of these are repetitive circuits it's pretty simple to do this.

Here's the plan for the next for weeks. X only--sports training will vary and I'll list this plan later as I'm actually able to do some running, which I still can't.

Week 5

M - Chest, Shoulders, Tris & ARX
T - Cardio X
W - Back & Bis, ARX
T - Yoga X
F - Legs & Back
S,S - outside stuff--begin Giro simulation (more on this later but Sat begins virtual Giro--fun fun)

Week 6

M - Chest & Back, ARX
T - Plyo
W - Shoulders & Arms, ARX
T - Yoga X
F - Legs & Back, ARX
S,S - outside stuff--begin Giro simulation (more on this later)

Week 7

M - Chest, Shoulders, Tris & ARX
T - Plyo
W - Back & Bis, ARX
T - Yoga X
F - Legs & Back
S,S - outside stuff--begin Giro simulation (more on this later)

Week 8

M - Chest & Back, ARX
T - Plyo
W - Shoulders & Arms, ARX
T - Yoga X
F - Legs & Back, ARX
S,S - outside stuff--begin Giro simulation (more on this later)

Week 9

M - Core Syn
T - Yoga X
W - X Stretch
T - Core Syn
F - Yoga X
S,S - outside stuff--begin Giro simulation (more on this later)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright Steve, thought I'd respond to your myspace message on here. The Big V! I've been there. Make sure you allow plenty of recovery time...otherwise it could be a no bueno situano. I had it about 5 years ago after our 4th child. I've got a nutrition Q. Better to post here or email. Thanks.

Sterling

Steve Edwards said...

Doing my best on the recovery. Try posting it here. If it's a long answer that others should see then we can move it to the boards.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the next block. I was under the weather most of last week so the Rest Period fit in well with the schedule.

Anonymous said...

OK. Nutrition question. I'm trying to get lean and ripped (aren't we all). I'm doing doubles. Here is an example of a typical day of food intake. Do I need changes? Recommendations gladly embraced! I'm leaning up, but still have layer of fat and I'm not gonna stop 'bringing it' so everything should improve over time. Thanks.

Wake up: 1 or 2 8 oz americanos - black

{Doubles days - cardio x in a.m}

Breakfast: 2 pieces of Julian Bakery Carb Smart #1 bread. (119 calories, 13 carbs, 12 fiber, 12 grms protein) with 2 Tbsp whole foods smooth peanut buter, 1 banana, 1 apple OR 2 slices of same bread (no PB) with 4 egg whites cooked in few oz olive oil, 1 apple.

Snack: Probar, Art's Orginal Blend
(370 cals; fat 18, sodium 35, pot 170, carb 48 [fiber 6, sug 23], prot 9) OR Nature's Path Organ Optimum Rebound Energy Bar (190 cals, fat 4, sod 140, carb 33 [fib 4, sug 20] prot 10 OR apple/banana with 2 tblsp whole foods smooth peanut butter OR The Original Organic Bar

Lunch: 8-10 oz chicken, 7-10 oz organic spicy black beans, 4 slices of Juian Bakery Dinner bread (75 cals per slice, fat 0. sod 75, carb 10, fiber 6, prot 7) OR Greek combo platter (4 oz chick, 4 oz lamb, small serving or baba ganoush or hummus, few oz salad with greek dressing OR 1 brown rice shushi tuna roll from whole foods

Snack: Another bar OR handful of almonds OR 3 oz Organic Chocolate Banana Trail Mix (450 cals, fat 33, sod 180, carb 39, fib 6, sug 27, prot 12) OR apple/banana/2 Tbsp peanut butter

Dinner: 8-12 oz tilapia, an assload of spinach cooked in olive oil and fresh garlic; 4 pieces of Julian Bakery Dinner Bread (same as above); 7-10 oz spicy black beans or lentils; small serving of organic whole wheat pasta [so many varieties at dinner, but basically the same mix]

Post Workout: P90X Recovery Drink (after resistance workout, core syn, or plyo) On doubles days...sometimes I do resistance workout at night followed by recover drink & bed 2 hrs later.


Other: P90X Peak Performance vitamin packs; EmergenC pack - couple a wk; maybe 4 beers/wk; lots of water - 60-100 ozs/day; black coffee 2-3 times/day

Anonymous said...

Steve: I emailed you a pic at your productpartners email so that you could get a since of what I'm working with. Thanks

Anonymous said...

suzanne's back, block 2 begins. rode yesterday and discovered that no matter how low i gear the mtb, i'm slow, weak and pathetic. it was hard to sit given that my ass was constantly being handed to me. good luck all and steve, how'd the ride go?

yeah, yeah, push play, i know...

marc

Steve Edwards said...

hey sterling,

do you eat the same thing everyday? that would be a major issue in a way because any nutrient omissions are likely to escalate. this answer could get long--though you diet is good. so ask it in the nutrition forum since this is a common-ish question. tell denis to alert me when it's there.

you're right, over time it will sort itself out. but we can probably make it go quicker.

Reedster said...

I had a very restful weekend, with lots of sun, beer, alcohol, country music, dust, wind and not enough sleep. Somehow I tweaked my back a little last night. I'm hoping that it won't affect my workouts, and I'm planning on stepping into a regulart block 2 with perhaps weekend adjustments for riding. I'd also like to get an easy ride or two in during the week, but we'll just have to see how I feel.

~R

Anonymous said...

Steve: Thanks for the advice. I don't eat the same thing everyday. I sort of understand what you mean by nutrient omissions, but can you explain in more detail. I'll post on the nutrition forum as you suggested. Thanks.

Reedster said...

Okay that chest, arms tri thing was a good workout. It pumped me up immediately with those slow push-ups and I don't think I ever really recovered. It made me feel weak for the rest of the workout, which was a little depressing.

My back was alright, but I couldn't do a bunch of the stuff in ARX, but it was fine for everything else. Hopefully it will be okay with Plyo tomorrow.

Now I just need to get on the bike and get some other cardio in.

~R