Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Enjoying My Coffee


A few months back we were treated to a study showing excessive coffee drinkers were at a much lower risk for prostate cancer. Now we’re seeing stats telling us it can ward off type 2 diabetes.

Although it is sometimes referred to as "the devil's brew," coffee contains several nutrients (eg, calcium) as well as hundreds of potentially biologically active compounds (eg, polyphenols) that may promote health. For instance, observational studies have suggested a beneficial link between coffee consumption and type 2 diabetes.

The article goes on to lend credence to the “emerging health benefits of coffee.” Seriously?

Coffee’s been consumed a lot longer than we’ve been recording history and spent most of that time as a coveted elixir. It's benefits are hardly emerging. Only recently has it come under scrutiny as being something unhealthy and, frankly, I feel this stems from our tit for tat mentality where when people get their favorite vices targeted (sugar, alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs et al) the want to fire back with something. Coffee and tea, both having addictive qualities, are the low hanging fruit for this reactionary behavior.

But study after study show that what we put into coffee (see Triple Vanilla Macchiato Buzz Bomb) is doing far more harm than the coffee itself. In fact, there have more than 20,000 studies done on coffee, tea, and caffeine and they are almost unanimously positive. Not only that, coffee is chocked full of nutrients and lacks calories, a paradigm shift from the recent trend in nutrition--that of lots of calories with very little nutrition--that’s led to our obesity epidemic.

I’m stayin’. I’m finishing my coffee. Enjoying my coffee.

15 comments:

Aaron said...

I don't know man, it seems like the better I eat and take care of myself, the more coffee makes me feel sick when I drink it. And caffeine may have benefits in certain situations, but when you need it just to get going in the morning, and suffer brutal headaches without it, something's amiss. I don't have diabetes, but it seems like lifestyle, and not joe, would be my approach to dealing with it.

Are you enjoying your coffee, or is it something you just need? I'm sure you've experimented on yourself by refraining, what was that experience like? What makes you come back to coffee, really?

Steve Edwards said...

I go off it all the time, mainly to cleanse, but also because it feels better when I go back on it. And to heighten its ergogenic properties.

Dale Cooper said...

Aaron, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.

Trainer T.s Fitness said...

I love my Java!

I don't think that anything in moderation is bad, however it does keep us buy "white strips" for our teeth.

I fasted coffee for 21 days, and I did feel a difference...again, I love my Java!

bob banks said...

Black as midnight on a moonless night...

TheThinker said...

Is there like a substitute for coffee? With all the benefits you explain it might be good but then again at my age I dont think so. Plus I usually avoid caffeine and gag on regular coffee so not something that suits me.

Aaron said...

I don't avoid coffee because I think it's bad for me, it just really screws up my guts. As for self presents: nap in office-absolutely. A daily practice. Real present, if I could leave the office and never come back. I just want to be Steve.

Frank McMahon said...

It's nearly happy hour. And there's plenty of coffee!

Anonymous said...

Damn good coffee. And hot.

-Josh

Steve Edwards said...

Hassan,

You don't need coffee, you have youth! Even then nobody needs coffee as there are plenty of ways to get those nutrients. It is an ergogenic aid but only a minor one. I just happen to love it. The taste, the smell, the process, the whole lifestyle. I think the reason coffee drinkers have better life stats than those who refrain is often for similar reasons to why drinkers do better than non-drinkers, stress. Those who are relaxed and roll with the world and its customs seem to get on better than those who are up-tight and live by someone else's arbitrary rules.

Bruin Fan said...

I'm not shitting you. I really need a cup of coffee.

Reedster said...

Put that coffee down!! Coffee's for closers only.

Do you think I'm fucking with you? I am not fucking with you. I'm here from downtown. I'm here from Mitch and Murray. And I'm here on a mission of mercy.

Dalton said...

Leaded.

screwdestiny said...

Mmm, I'm all about the Triple Vanilla Machiatto Buzz Bombs! But I don't drink them. And unfortunately, I can't stand the taste off coffee by itself. I do like tea, though. And I like what you said about people just trying to target something because all of their vices are proven to be unhealthy. I think you're on to something there.

Aaron said...

Is Bob talking about his sense of humor again? Does coffee go with mexican food?