Monday, February 08, 2010

Nordwand


Finally it appears as though we're getting a climbing movie in the narrative genre that's going to be seriously good, as opposed to unintentional comedy (not that there's anything wrong with that). This film, in fact, looks amazing. For the time being it's only in limited release so check the dates on this page and see it. Generally the numbers during screening runs determine whether or not a film will get a larger release.

For those who aren't familiar with the story of Kurz and Hinterstoisser I'm giving away nothing. But one of the most vivid memories I've held on to comes from reading the account of this climb, years before I was an actual climber (meaning a long long time ago). If you're interested in the history of the Eiger, read The White Spider, Eiger: Wall of Death, or just watch The Eiger Sanction and call yourself educated.

I'm more attached to this mountain than most. Its lore was a catalyst for me to start climbing. I've done an Eiger Sanction themed birthday challenge. And I was married under it. One of these years I'll have to take my turn in the barrel. Ben says that at 35, give or take, I'm a little too old for the Eiger. But as I've always said: good weather, bad weather; now or later; any time is good for climbing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I dream the list inform should have more info then it has.

Gregory Crouch said...

Well, there's one obvious birthday challenge looming, Steve...

Steve Edwards said...

Trying to figure out all the spam I'm getting. I let this one through hoping it would give a clue but I'm stumped. Anybody know how a spam posting with no link info is beneficial to the poster? I get these every day.

Steve Edwards said...

Hey Greg,

Yep, I know. My current training is working towards this.

TheThinker said...

This?? *frowns with interest* interesting steve, you continue to push the limits of the human body, good inspiration.

I guess for spam, people post to get views for their website/blog. They just search random popular blogs and post their links.

Steve Edwards said...

i know on the spam thing but some of these have no link, so i'm hoping someone more tech savvy can help me out.

Dave Guttman said...

I saw Nordwand last night and thought it was really well done. The fear, pain and suffering these guys went through was palpable. Denise, who's not a climber and didn't know the story found it riveting.

Slappy said...

Saw the Eiger film tonight. They took some artistic license and added a girl, but it was still pretty good. The old style climbing looked authentic, and by that I mean batshit scary.

Apropos -- Joe Simpson's film on the same climb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc&feature=PlayList&p=F87D044D5191B55D&index=0&playnext=1

Steve Edwards said...

Awesome! I just ordered that book, along with a copy I found of the out of print Eiger: Wall of Death, to see if the book that inspired me to climb is actually any good.

Eiger 2011. You in? Trick is I'd like to do one of the hard routes on the Rot Flu, so start training!

Steve Edwards said...

Hmm, well, I saw it. And while it's good and I hope the artistic license will help it find a larger audience, I can't help think they reduced the actual experience. I think the true story is far more riveting, along with the real dialog. If you're going to make up a story then make one up. But if you're going to use one of the more gripped episodes in mountaineering history why not stick to what actually happened?